Urges strengthening the competitive environment for business at the World Trade Center San Diego’s 2009 International Business Leadership Awards
San Diego, CA – U.S. Senate Candidate Carly Fiorina today delivered the keynote address at the World Trade Center of San Diego’s 2009 International Business Leadership Awards. She discussed the keys to keeping American businesses competitive in the global economy.
“American businesses are competing in one of the toughest global climates of our generation and American businesses are losing their competitive edge in the global economy due in no small part to the decisions made in Washington that impact their ability to innovate and compete,” said Fiorina. “There are some concrete ways in which we can strengthen the competitive environment for American businesses and I remain optimistic about the future because I see the tremendous potential in the individual entrepreneur and small business owner.”
Specifically, Fiorina discussed the following areas in which change is needed to encourage economic growth and to help American businesses compete in the globally economy:
- Lowering the tax burden for both businesses and individuals and simplifying the tax code.
- Encouraging innovation through tax credits for research and development and through the protection of intellectual property laws in the U.S. and abroad.
- Opening up new trade markets and ensuring all participating countries live up to their end of the bargain under any trade agreements.
- Easing the regulatory burden.
- Reducing costly and frivolous lawsuits by leveling the litigation playing field and restraining excessive awards of punitive damages and eliminate abusive class actions.
- Opening up capital markets to individuals and small businesses.
- Investing in improving education from pre-school through higher education through increased accountability and a focus on preparing our students for the workforce.
The 2009 International Business Leadership Awards program spotlights the companies, people and technologies that exemplify the best and the brightest in the San Diego international trade community. The awards equally recognize outstanding achievement in exports and imports of products and services.